History of the Club
The Alexandra Club was established in 1903, when the Commonwealth of Australia was just two years old and Melbourne was still the national capital. It was the time of King Edward VII's reign and the Club was named in honour of his consort, Queen Alexandra.
The meeting, which inaugurated the Alexandra Club, took place at the previous incarnation of the Alexandra Club, the Wattle Club, at 145 Collins Street. At this first meeting, the Wattle Club name was changed to the Alexandra Club. The next locale was at Nicholson Chambers on the corner of Collins and Swanston Streets. Later the Club moved to the Metropolitan Gas Company building in Flinders Street – built to complement the adjoining neo-Gothic St Paul's Cathedral - before moving to 139 Collins Street, the Club's treasured home for over 60 years. in 1983 the Club moved to its present home 'Alexandra House', the 1930 building at 81 Collins Street.
The Name and Statement of Purpose states that the Club's purpose is 'to be exclusively for social and non-political purposes' and this has remained a constant. Now into its second century, the Alexandra Club is part of the fabric of Melbourne society and continues its tradition of excellent service and warm hospitality. Over the years it has retained a strong and loyal membership, with successive generations of women keen to share the experiences that their predecessors enjoyed.